To date, there have been 16 000 cases of people who refused to be counted. There are now four cases before the courts of which two are in Gauteng, said Nomonde January of Stats SA’s legal services. Participation in the census is compulsory.
The mop-up phase will be a time when Stats SA ensures that all questionnaires have been collected. Refusals to participate in the census, and those that have not yet been counted as well as those who have chosen self-enumeration will also be dealt with.
From 15 November to 15 December 2011, Stats SA will embark on a post enumeration phase where workers will go out into 600 enumeration areas to recount some households to test the quality of information given. Those undertaking the post enumeration survey will be identifiable by blue uniforms.
It will also measure the undercount, with Lehohla hoping that it is not a double digit figure as was in the past. In the 1996 Census, the undercount was 10 percent and 17 percent in 2001.
As of Sunday, 36 percent of the R2.2 billion census budget had been spent, with a further R700 million to be spent on paying enumerators. Enumerators will be paid R5 000, while supervisors will be paid R7 500.
Additionally, 4 895 cars had been used, most of which were rented vehicles. Those who have not yet been counted are urged to call the toll-free call centre on 0800 110 248.
Lehohla said he was pleased with the progress of the census so far. Deputy Director-General for population and social statistics, Kefiloe Masiteng, said the census will give an indication of how far the country has come.
The census asked all people within South African borders about their access to water, electricity and sanitation among others.
An extension could be considered once information had been gathered, said Molongoana.
Census 2011 results are expected in November 2012.