Youth-Focused ( Lekgotla) Conference
||Jun 27, 2012
||Jun 28, 2012
||Sonke Gender Justice, in partnership with the United Nations Population Fund (UNPFA) is hosting a youth-focused lekgotla from 27-28 June 2012 in Johannesburg.
Hosted under the theme ‘Young Mothers, Young Fathers - Talking About Sexual and Reproductive Health with Young People’, the goal of the event is to identify steps to improve the sexual and reproductive health of young parents in South Africa.
This will be achieved by engaging young people with civil society, government and policy makers in order to discuss sexual and reproductive health in South Africa.
After the enthusiasm that was expressed by stakeholders in 2011 for the establishment of the MenEngage Network, this event will also serve as an introduction opportunity for MenEngage South Africa.
Prior to the event, an agenda and discussion documents will be circulated in order to allow stakeholders to develop mandates for delegates.
The event will provide an opportunity to reflect on:
- Recent developments from different maternal health related UN meetings, such as the commission on the Status of Women, and the International Conference on Population and Development upcoming 20 year review;
- The broader drive to ensure young men’s participation in maternal health issues;
- South African national policies related to maternal health and sexual and reproductive health and rights;
- Recent research results about young people and maternal health in South Africa;
- The event will also provide a space to share with young people recent developments including the CARMMA (The African Union’s Campaign on Accelerated.
Reduction of Maternal Mortality in Africa) national launch and the recently released Saving Mothers, Saving Babies 4th Triennium Report for South Africa.
The event will be dialogue-driven, with keynote presentations of recent research evidence, on which to base discussions.
Invitations and a more detailed announcement will follow by 1 June 2012.
Please only confirm attendance after the detailed announcement has been forwarded.
For more about Sonke and MenEngage, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za and www.menengage.org.
Enquires: Thami Nkosi, Tel: 011 339 3589 ext 224, E-mail: email@example.com.
For more about the United Nations Population Fund, refer to www.unfpa.org.
For more about Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za.
||Sonke Gender Justice, United Nations Population Fund